Posted by : Joe Medlin Tuesday, October 7, 2014


                Life could be related to a flood. If you aren’t paying attention and staying aware of your situation, you may be swept off down Main Street, never to be seen again, when you just stepped outside for a puff of your favorite cigarette. (Smoking is bad, kids). This is one of the lessons that seem to be constantly retaught to me through my journey in this world. You’re probably wondering what I’m droning about. Fair enough. It has come to my attention lately that perhaps programming is not the best course of action for my career in the short term. While having the power of creation quite literally at my fingertips is a feeling beyond words, perhaps truly understanding and appreciating a computer from a hardware to a software level and between and beyond would be the best way to break into the field and start really getting something done with my career.
                Google is going to be my best friend here, as always. More times than not, I end up taking a virtual hike through the Google database on a particular subject and come out wiser at the end. Whether or not that wisdom pertains to what I was researching is irrelevant.  One idea I have pondered recently is to give my skills to friends and family for free. That way I can clear their viruses, perhaps improve their PC speed, maybe plug in their router when they can’t get online, and gain more experience in the process.
                I've realized I keep running into a similar problem: I like to start in the middle and work around to what I need to learn when I need it. But I’ve realized that maybe that is not the best idea to take when learning such a complex topic. Come to find out, the lesson I needed to learn was something they taught us all in kindergarten. 
Effin' building blocks. I used to love those things.

It’s simple, really. Nobody ever learned Calculus before Algebra, and nobody learned what the past participle is before learning how to spell. (I still don’t know what the participles are.) We all learn the same way. Once you know that one plus one equals two, and why it equals two, then you can understand that two squared is four, and why. Then you take that knowledge and build further. Without realizing it, I have been focusing on the wrong part of knowledge here. While I have a working understanding of computers, the hardware and peripherals, as well as software, I feel I need a firm grasp on things such as architecture, and how to deal with those viruses that are just too stubborn for virus removal.


Lastly, as I mentioned, I want to break into the IT field as soon as possible. That way, I can start gaining experience towards what I want to be my career. I’m sorry, what WILL be my career. Alas, you cannot obtain a job without whoring out your resume for less than free, and that is what I am working on now.
               I finally found a decent format that seems to fit the career field I am trying to break into. It is sleek, edgy, and professional without being flashy. It is straight to the point, but not boring. So far, this is the best template I have found, and will probably be the one I will use for some time, unless I find a better one.
                Granted, there are a few things I want to change about this format and wording, but I believe I will save that for another post. That topic, in and of itself, will be quite a substantial subject.
                In closing, I want to leave with a personal thought. Sometimes it feels like life keeps throwing up walls to block you from your goal.  But maybe that’s not it. Instead of walls, perhaps they are barriers, akin to the guardrails on a mountain highway. They don’t block you from your destination, but instead guide you there, preventing you from careening into a fiery finish.  When something goes wrong, perhaps it is life shaping you the way a river shapes its bed, wearing and shifting for years until the shape is just right. Maybe failure really is a lot harder than you realized.

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

- Copyright © Learn to program with me! - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -