Posted by : Joe Medlin Saturday, July 4, 2015



                Here we are again, after another brief hiatus, this time again with a purpose.  As a recap, I am still working towards my A+ certification (for those of you not already aware, this is a general certification for computer hardware/software maintenance and support), which is more intricate and complex than I expected. 
                Not to beat a dead horse, but computers have always been a passion of sorts.  Until about three months ago, I thought I knew a lot about computers.  Apparently I was quite ignorant to many of the core aspects of the very technology running the system, such as the motherboard, specifically how the motherboard works. I can now distinguish between at least three different motherboard form factors, identify different chipsets on a given board, and put simply, I can build a computer with confidence given a list of specifications the computer must meet upon completion.  Ignorance is a funny thing; it’s like a virus: you don’t realize how sick you really were until you finally get healthy. 
                With the recent developments, I now question my resolve to complete my college education as opposed to taking an alternate route.  The funny thing is that I still have the same dedication to follow this road to completion, no matter what route works.  In all honesty, I can already name a few instances where people have made amazing career advancements in the IT field with no degree, but instead the right certifications.
                I am honestly torn at this point, as finishing school would be amazing, just to have that sense of accomplishment. On the other hand, I’m sick of feeling like I’m waiting on part of my life to catch up to me. I’m married, and will hopefully soon (God willing) have children.  It would be really great if I could get to a level of some sense of financial stability, to be able to prepare for a brighter future.  Let’s face it: an hourly call center job isn’t the way to get there. Not at my hourly rate anyway. 
                These thoughts come after trying to apply at the local university, University of North Carolina at Charlotte.  Everything was going so perfectly. I just paid my debts to the community college and obtained my transcripts. I was on my way to college, a real college, a university. I already knew when registration began and ended, so I had everything together. I even prepared for the application fee, and researched to make sure I could transfer at least most of my credits; I believe almost all of them should indeed transfer.  So I go online, and steer to the page to register; at this point there are approx. 3 days left in the time period, maybe more, so I felt there was enough time. Upon clicking the link to the registration page, I find the registration for fall semester was closed. I missed my chance.  As much as I love my laptop, it was almost thrown across the room. Almost.
                So here I am, back at square one again. Well, kind of, but not really.  At this point, I am about a week or two away from taking the first exam for this certification.  Missing my latest chance did nothing if not light a serious fire under me to get something constructive done.  I’ve learned many things on this journey, and one of them is that sometimes the worst curses are really blessings in disguise. In light of recent events, I have realized that I can get just as far in the IT/programming field, if not farther, with certifications as I can with an actual degree.
                So here is today’s lesson boys and girls. Stuff happens, plain and simple. Good stuff, bad stuff, mediocre stuff.  Some you can control, some you can’t.  What you can always control, however, is how you are going to handle it.  For example, school is out of my hands for now. So does that mean I am doomed to a life of abject poverty? Hell no.  It does mean I need to find a way to adapt to recent circumstances. In this case, working on a certification.  This way, there is no time wasted.  I may be able to knock off some classes from my degree if I go back, and I will definitely get into the field much sooner. 
                Don’t ever be foolish enough to believe someone else can live your life for you.  What have I said before? Sometimes (many times) in life, what you want isn’t given to you. It is, in fact, held back from you.  Sometimes you have to bite and claw to take what you want.  Well fight for it, my friends. The good fight is not an easy one, but what fight is better than the fight for your dreams? And know this as well: you will not fight alone. You will be shocked to see the support you get from unexpected places when people see you pick up the reigns of your life and decide where you want your path to lead you.  It’s a beautiful thing, and one that does not go unnoticed.

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

- Copyright © Learn to program with me! - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -