Posted by : Joe Medlin Wednesday, May 13, 2015



                So it’s been a little while since I’ve been able to post anything lately, but rest assured, I am alive, and the blog lives with me.  However, it is with some pleasure that I must say that I have been quite active in my absence. Things have been quite crazy lately (when are they not), but for once it seems this may not be a bad thing.
                I mentioned in a previous post that I would be pursuing a B.A./B.S in Computer Science at UNCC.  Well that has not changed, though my ideas of what I may be majoring in have.  Change can be a good thing, or it can be bad.  This is one of the better times it seems.  Programming has always been something I have loved, but there is something else I have always loved in the way of computers and the science thereof: cyber security.  In other words, I want to be a hacker. 
                Now this needs some clarification.  “Hacker” has gained a negative connotation over the years, especially lately with the recent hacks of so many major corporations, but the one thing you have to take into account is that as with people, there are different kinds of hackers.  There are the “black hats”: the “bad guys” so to speak, these are the people who are associated with crime of all sorts ranging from stealing sensitive data to general identity theft and anything between or beyond. Then you have the “white hats”, and this is what I’m going for. White hats are the unseen, unsung heroes that give us the life and security we enjoy every day, often times without even realizing it.  Just think about how many people try to hack your information and are blocked by a firewall or some other sort of defense. On behalf of white hats everywhere, you’re welcome.
                To this end, I have filled out the FAFSA in hopes of some form of financial aid for school, and with my next check I will be paying off my last debt that holds me back from applying.  With any luck, I may just be able to start next semester. There are many other changes that must happen for it to work out, but those will come later, and will be revealed as they occur.
                 Also in a previous post, I mentioned how I was running a fundraiser to raise some money for school. Well, this has also changed somewhat, again for the better. I realized it may be a little unrealistic to raise over $2,000 through crowdfunding, so I have taken a different approach.  I set the goal for $400 instead, and this is not for school, but it is still relevant to my education.
                I have recently discovered the necessity of having my A+ certification.  I have been told numerous times that with this certification I would be able to get a job in the field with no problem whatsoever. The certification consists of two exams, both $200 a piece. So in addition to trying to raise the funding for the actual exams, I have taken it upon myself to learn as much about this certification as I possibly can.  It just so happens that thanks to a Twitter post, I got really lucky.
                I found a site that offers all of the training for the A+ certification for free.  www.Cybrary.it has a series of videos for various certifications.  You can read the story on their site, but their basic mission is to make it easier for people to break into the IT field, as well as to transition within the field. The IT sector is easily the fastest growing field in the world right now, and the only one with a negative unemployment rate. I’m not kidding. Go look it up. If jobs in IT were stock, this would be the time to buy.  But it’s also the most expensive to get any type of training for, which provides a huge hurtle for anyone trying to get in or change directions in the field. 
                So thanks to Cybrary.it, I have been able to learn more than I already knew about computers, involving every aspect of hardware inside of a typical computer (motherboard, CPU, ram, etc.), as well as cord types and wirings, and also network topologies. And that’s just what I have learned for the first exam so far; there’s still a bit more to go.  In addition, they also offer free or low cost study materials on the site through partner vendors, which helps keep the site running since it is ad/donation based revenue.  I completely support these people in what they are doing, and if I had a mountain top to scream from, I would scream my lungs out about Cybrary. 
                As a last note, just for the record and to keep you in the loop in case you are curious, I have an update on the fundraiser.  To date, I have raised a total of $70, which is more than I expected, so I’m pretty psyched.  I had quite a few friends and family getting in on the fun of watching my hair change colors, and my favorite vape store, Outer Banks Vape Shoppe (check out their Facebook page), even decided to throw in a little donation for the fun. 
                My next step is to host a yard sale to see if I can get a little closer to the goal.  I have quite a few things around the house collecting dust, so if I can get a few dollars for it and give it to someone who will actually use it, then it’s the best of both worlds.  The yard sale will be at the end of May, so you can message me on Facebook for location and times if you are interested. 
                I will leave you with one final thought.  Whenever anyone tells you that you can’t do it, or you aren’t worth it, remember this quote.  Every time someone wrongs you, beats you down, and tries to hold you back, just let this ring in your mind, because it’s true.  “The best revenge is massive success.” –Frank Sinatra.  I couldn’t have said it better myself. 

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

- Copyright © Learn to program with me! - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -