Posted by : Joe Medlin Sunday, October 4, 2015

Often times, I find myself starting these posts with the words "Life has been interesting...". So from here on out, let's just assume that "life has been interesting", otherwise, you wouldn't be reading this to begin with. Now that we got that out of the way, here is what has been going on lately.

See? I really do have a Twitter. You should follow me (hint, hint)

That's right, it's official. I am finally going through with it. Granted, I was originally slated to take it two months ago, so logic should lend that I am prepared for this. While I know I should be, and in terms of material learned I really am, some part of me is still intimidated by one simple fact: I am actually doing this. After so many years (roughly six) of trying to get into the IT field, I have finally found my way, and I am doing something about it. No more doubting what could be, but actually finding out what is.
For the sake of clarification, the A+ certification is actually split between two exams, the 220-801 and the 220-802. The 801 mainly focuses on hardware identification and maintenance, networking, printers, laptops, and operational procedures. (If it sounds like it's a lot, its because it is.) Five months ago, I didn't really know anything about most of this, regardless of what I would have told you at the time (Ignorance is bliss).
The 20-802 is mostly software based, currently covering all Windows operating systems from Windows XP to Windows 7. Fortunately, I am only under-exposed to Vista, which is basically a dumbed down version of Windows 7. Of course, I will be covering more on this as the time comes closer to take that particular exam.
I have been studying relentlessly since the beginning of May, as I am sure you already know by this point, and I never actually believed I would attain the level of confidence I now have.  Since buying my trusty, handy-dandy study guide on Amazon (I kid you not, probably the BEST purchase I have ever made), I have been able to ace every practice test on the websites I have been able to find. I am actually about to build my own computer. I know every single step involved, everything I need to do. And if I mess up? If I break something? I'll fix or replace it, and chalk it up to learning. I have made approximately 100 flashcards myself, since writing and reciting will supposedly double the effect. And guess what: it did. And what started all of this? A single post on Twitter. Just one person advertising a little site called Cybrary.it. I have invested $30 to my certification not including the fees for the exams themselves (Though I do have every intention of donating to Cybrary when I get certified). I hate to plug, but Cybrary does have an intensive list of videos regarding the A+ certification, as well as many other certs offered by CompTIA, Microsoft, Cisco, etc. It's funny how quickly your entire life can change, for the better or worse, from one single decision, one thought, one glimpse that you didn't ever think would make a difference.

Before you ever take any tech field exam, you should look into this series. Best guides ever.

Check out their website for FREE training on everything from entry level tech to cyber security and programming.

Truthfully, that's not the only thing that's been going for me lately. For once, I think I have multitudes of good news to share, and by God I am going to share it. Through all of my struggles, there may be a light at the end of the school tunnel. I have done A LOT of research, and I am here with news that will help any others in my situation. I have two full semesters and one summer semester left for my Associates in Applied Sciences in Technology Integration (As I have found out it is called now), and I have been very stubborn on giving up on completing my degree. (For once, my stubborness pays off.) I was completely unaware of this until about two weeks ago, but there are at least two sources of financial aid in the form of loans for community colleges in North Carolina that I had not already exhausted: Wells Fargo and Sallie Mae. As I have mentioned before, most community colleges in North Carolina "opted out" (got kicked out) of the federal loan program due to massive student defaults coupled with low graduation rates. The only drawback to this discovery is that the list of colleges they do offer loans for is somewhat selective. Seeing as how my first couple of choices weren't on the list, I was forced to go outside of the box, and I am still shocked with what I found.
I dont feel bad about listing this name, because it is great advertising for the school, and it seems they deserve it. Central Piedmont Community College is apparently one of the best in the area in terms of comm colleges, and their computer programs are easily the most intensive I have come across available outside of a university. Loans are available to this particular school through Wells Fargo, and I am considering the large possibility that this may be my only option, though that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Along with your degree, you get a diploma, which serves as your concentration. For the sake of continuity, my concentration is going to be networking. That way I can complete the degree by the end of next year, and hopefully transfer to the UNCC (CPCC teams up with UNCC for transfers, so lets hope) to pursue a B.S. possibly cyber security, or something closely related.
Recently, I spoke of transferring directly to University of North Carolina at Charlotte for completion of my degree, but that led to yet another unexpected circumstance I was forced to find a way around.  In short, since I am going for an Associates in APPLIED Sciences, and not an Associates in Science, my credits will not transfer, except for core classes. Oh, and you have to have 25 credits of core classes to transfer. So in short, there is no way for a computer major of any kind to transfer to UNCC with an incomplete degree. Well, not unless you want to start completely over with your degree.

Yep, I think that about says it all right there.


        So what does this all mean? Well...lets try one more time. Time is short, but some would say your best work is done under pressure, and I am no exception to that. Mainly, I have to fill out the FAFSA for next semester, and time is running a little short, so I suppose that is my first objective. Well, that, and applying to the school at all. That's kind of important. Also, within the next month, I am going to have to find time to speak to an advisor, just to make sure everything is in order. Then, assuming all goes well, I have to apply for the loan, and also register for classes and hope I can get the ones I need. So what I'm trying to say is that its going to be funny to watch me try to get this all done with my strict time limit. But I've done more with less time. So as a good friend and coworker of mine always tells me to get pumped, "To work hard for what we want, but not take for granted what we earn; to enjoy the fruits of our labors, but not let the arrogance cloud us. But to ultimately achieve that goal, in whatever form, however it presents itself to us. In short, lets DO THIS!"

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

- Copyright © Learn to program with me! - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -