Posted by : Joe Medlin Tuesday, November 25, 2014


                This has been an interesting time in my life, and possibly in local history as well.  Well, maybe not, but you never know. It never hurts to dream big. Because as of Saturday, November 22, 2014 a friend of mine and I decided to start our own company. Granted, its not officially a company as of yet, but the decision has been made, and that is what matters most.
                We are a computer repair firm called Back Door Technical Support Services.  While there may only be two of us to begin with, we have already obtained support from various friends who are already in the industry. Our biggest goal is to get some real experience in the field, and hopefully to make a couple of dollars in the process.
                Though we may not have the necessary funding to officially declare ourselves as of yet, this decision was not made lightheartedly. It’s not as if we were sitting around drinking, and said, “I’m tired of having a boss. Why don’t we just….be our own boss, dude?” No, it was much more intricate than that. My partner and I have gotten to a crossroads in our life, and coincidentally hit it at about the same time. Fact is, nobody is just handed opportunity. And the lucky few who do are so careless they don’t know what to do with the opportunity given. That’s kind of the point: they wouldn’t have been given an opening if they were able to get it themselves. So I suppose in a sense it should be sort of flattering that no one has ever really handed me anything. That just means I can take care of myself, and that’s exactly what we are out to prove. There is that, and so very much more.

We better stay right here. I don't think we will make it back if we miss this exit.


                Look at any big company, or person of success. I’ve spent too much time envying them and not enough time working for what I want, just as they have. Apple, Microsoft, IBM were all started in similar ways, with a few friends/colleagues deciding they wanted to make something of themselves, and they just happened to further the world in the process. I can’t say for even a second if we will further the world. I don’t even know how successful the company will be. There is a good chance it will fail before it starts. But in all fairness, I once said the same thing about this blog too. And you see what happened. Maybe that’s my good luck charm. Just curse my hopes and surely they will come true. 
                Along with this decision comes many others as well, and some weigh heavier than others. I have known for some time now that I am not the person I once was. Partying is simply not in my lifestyle anymore. I have a wife now, and one day we will have children. Rather than buy alcohol, I would rather buy a computer book. This is my addiction, not that alcohol ever was, and I feel that is all the better. Yet realizing this has brought about the fact that it is time to say goodbye. Not just to my old lifestyle and habits, but also to the friends who unfortunately have drifted to different paths since this maturity has taken effect. I suppose it’s not really that big. In all fairness, I don’t really talk to any of them anymore. But there were good times, and I guess in the back of my mind I was hoping maybe those good times would come again. Alas, this is not the case, and having seen this, I feel stronger and more determined in my choices.

Kind of makes you wonder if it was ever really real to begin with


                As for the company, we are starting out doing simple PC repair for any virus, software, or hardware issues you may have. And if you don’t know what the hell is wrong, then we’re here for that too. Our skill may not be refined, but our passion makes up for that and more. We are more than capable of determining any issues that may arise in a residential environment. It is my sincere hope that once we have a hold on that type of market, we can dabble in more lucrative endeavors, but that is too far in the future to see as of now.
                We actually have a Facebook page up and running, where we will be accepting job requests, as well as any questions, comments or concerns you wish to voice. We will also be updating the page regularly to keep everyone in the loop on how the company is doing, and the progress we are making.
                I will leave you with a simple thought. Just ponder this the next time you feel down, like maybe things just aren’t going your way. A few years ago, one of the aforementioned friends and I were having a few drinks (or a fifth), and got involved in deep, alcohol fueled discussion. I made the comment that I wasn’t going to be in my situation forever, and I wondered if it was possible for people to transcend economic classes in our country. This is the reply I was given: “Dude, I come from money, and I don’t think I have a chance. I really don’t think you do either.”


That's right. I said it. And I meant every word.

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

- Copyright © Learn to program with me! - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -