Posted by : Joe Medlin Saturday, November 15, 2014



                Hello again. Today’s topic is lighthearted and fun. Had you going didn’t I? No, it’s not lighthearted, but it is a little fun.  It certainly isn't the worst thing that could happen. Anyway, what I am babbling about is referred to as Ransomware. This is the term given to the new types of malware surfacing that infest your system and lock your computer down, demanding a “ransom” of sorts, usually payment via credit card or PayPal to an obscure account. Only problem is, once you pay the “ransom” they essentially pull the trigger. Instead of returning control of your system, they lock it further, funneling all the money out of you they can manage and leaving you to pick up the ruins.  These are obviously very shady practices, and unfortunately they are just about as lucrative. You wouldn’t believe the fools out there that fall for this. Before you get offended because you think I’m talking bad about your grandfather who gave thousands to a scam overseas, I need you to understand two things. First, we cannot be expected to defend against what we are unfamiliar with. You cannot fight a disease you have never seen. And you cannot protect yourself online if you are unfamiliar with typical practices of malice traditionally practiced online. And this brings me to my second point: from the bottom of my heart, it is my solemn belief that if your grandfather did indeed give thousands away to a scam overseas, then not only does he not belong on a computer or anywhere around internet in general, but maybe you should question his decision making capacity. Just a thought.
                Now that we have made it through that rather elaborate intro (thank you for sticking with me through that. I thought you would have gotten bored by now. Your vote of confidence means a lot to me) I will explain the purpose of this particular post.  A friend of mine recently gave me a call and offered the chance to exercise my skills on his newly infested computer. Apparently his girlfriend downloaded a virus called Rango Win 7 that locked his computer, and basically fits the exact description above.

While this may look like a legitimate program, you can rest assured that if you didn't install if yourself, its obviously malicious.



As you can see from the picture above, this is not a typical virus, and its clear how poor saps have been fooled into making a fatal mistake at this very point. The program installs itself as a bogus antivirus program that starts to scan your system, presumably to find viruses (duh). Only problem is, the “viruses” it finds are completely legitimate programs. For example, one program I saw it detect as a “virus” was Photoshop. Now, I have my beefs with Adobe and particularly Photoshop (have you seen the price tag? ), but I feel safe in saying its not a virus. Yet, there are people that somehow do not see this as a red flag. Thank god for that, because it gives me purpose to do this project, and that makes me happy.
                This particular instance happened in a way that most infections simply don’t occur anymore: opening a suspicious email. Before you ask: yes, this still happens, as was so beautifully demonstrated by my friend’s girlfriend. Right quick, I want to go ahead and throw the moral of this story out there: DO NOT, under any circumstances whatsoever, opens a suspicious email. EVER. Most email clients today filter out a majority of spam you receive, so this isn’t usually a problem. But if you get an advertisement for something, or maybe start receiving emails that don’t make sense, just mark it as spam and move along. Just in case you’re interested,  is a pretty reliable email client for free, and they filter out a good amount of spam and phishy stuff (see what I did there?). Most newer clients should be fine, just please get something newer than AOL email. Please, for everyone’s sake.


                The removal of this particular virus was fairly interesting, and to be perfectly frank, it was fun.  We started the computer, just to see what was happening and try to diagnose it. After about ten minutes past start-up, the first window prompt for the virus program opened. When we tried to close it, the virus just retook control and opened another window. I hoped we could just leave the window up and browse to find a solution, but there was no such luck. Upon trying to open Firefox, it was blocked as “a potentially malicious program”. I was actually forced to reboot into safe mode, while using my laptop beside theirs so I could have a step by step walkthrough. Detailed below are the steps I took in removing this virus. For the record, this particular system was running Windows 7, but the removal for any other system should be similar.
                To start, after booting in safe mode, I had to open the registry files. To do this, just open the start menu and in the search bar, type “regedit”.



Once this window is opened, you are going to need to venture to a few different locations and remove some files. This can be kind of scary, as deleting the wrong file can ruin your system. It may be a good idea to perform a system backup. To do this, type “backup” in the search bar, and follow the set-up wizard to back up your system.
The files you need to remove are:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "<random>" = "%AppData%\<random>.exe"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "<random>" = "%AppData%\<random>.exe"

It is possible there is a much easier solution.
                When this happened, I was caught somewhat off guard. You see, I was actually leaving work when I got the text that my buddy needed my help. I was kind of flustered because this threw something else into an already tight schedule, but I wanted to see my friend, and I wanted to help him out, to the benefit of both of us. So in my rush I overlooked the simplest option I could have utilized.

                 
That’s right, MalwareBytes would have taken care of this from the beginning. You may be asking how I could have installed this when the computer was locked down. My answer is but a two words: friggin’ magic. Magic in the form of Safe Mode (with networking).  If you have the install file on a flash drive or other portable media, then regular safe mode will work fine, otherwise you will need to go to the site to download the program. Run this bad boy and it will take every single one of those nasty files embedded in your registry right out and leave your computer just as if it had never been affected to begin with. Regardless of your choice on how to handle this, I seriously suggest you download this program. There is a free version as well as paid, but even just the free is an amazing machine. I cannot stress this point enough: surfing online is very similar to hiking the wilderness. You are against the elements, and there are many things that want to take you down. Only when you properly equip yourself with tools, such as a decent firewall and antivirus program or two, do you stand even the slightest chance of survival.
                In the end, this problem was resolved with a swift kick in the ass.  It was a little tedious, but fulfilling, and I look forward to more of this. I can’t wait to be the guy everyone is calling for help on problems like this. Here soon, maybe I will have some more intricate situations I have had to resolve that will fuel some posting. Here’s to hoping.

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

- Copyright © Learn to program with me! - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -