Posted by : Joe Medlin Sunday, May 3, 2015



                So incredibly much has happened lately that I quite literally have not had the time to document a single moment of my progress, which I truly regret. Well it’s time to get back to it, and let you know what’s been going on in my world lately.
                As you may already know from reading previous posts of mine, I have had a few attempts at raising some funds to get through school. It has been a trial thus far, but I feel like I am getting somewhere with this at last. It is a new experience for me, so there is a definite learning curve of sorts. 
                It all started with Back Door Technical Support Services, a simple company/project created by a friend and myself. Our mission was to get in touch with people who needed general PC repair, and deliver this to them at a discount, if anything at all. Our main goal has been experience. Well at this point that is not faring so well, at least for now, forcing me to search for other avenues to raise this money.
                Well, I came across a rather strange idea, and since implementing it, I have had moderate success.  I hope to have more as I gain more of a hold on what it is I’m trying to accomplish.  The idea is not necessarily unique, though it is one I had to do some searching online to obtain.  I have decided to let people vote on my hair color every week for $1 per vote.  My thinking is that this makes it easy for people to give to a good cause while having fun and not having to spend a lot to do either.  Pretty slick, right?
                Well, I’ve been experimenting with this for a few weeks now, and its been rather interesting.  I have let people decide the color for two weeks now, and the reactions have been rather entertaining.

The first week I went with what I believed to be magenta, and this is what I advertised it as.  Well, it came out red.  I am normally blonde, and there is definitely some Irish running through my veins, which lends a reddish tint to my hair naturally. Therefore, everyone just seemed to think I died my hair a new color just to do it, and it didn’t really have the effect I had hoped.

Until this week.

This week was blue. Oh you should have seen the way people looked at me, especially at work.  Many heads turned, and some people laughed. Then they found out what the hell is going through my mind, and I actually received a little admiration from them for it.
                However, this is where the breakdown happens. I’m not the best advertiser. I have a hard time slipping into conversation not only what I’m doing, but also how you (the person who was just laughing that is now in admiration of my awesomeness) should definitely help me raise this money. I’m normally somewhat awkward around people anyway, but my other goal with this fundraiser was to get over that, so I can’t really use that as an excuse, can I?
                To that end, I have decided to take my wife up on a suggestion she made.  I am going to reach out to the local news station and see if they may be interested in a “feel good” story of someone who is determined not to fail.  I refuse to accept that I cannot get what I want with enough work, and I am going to prove how possible, albeit difficult, this goal is.
                There is absolutely no guarantee they will even see my message, or care if they do. But that is why I’m doing it.  I don’t care if I get rejected at this point, and that’s a good thing.  To conquer that fear is a victory in itself.  And who’s to say they won’t be impressed by my efforts? In all honesty, I am trying pretty diligently, and we could help each other out by mutually contributing to a story. 
                Also to that end, I have decided to upload a widget to my blog for the fundraiser.  I will also have a plug at the end of the page to remind you to check out the page.  No donation is required by any means, though they are always appreciated.  What I really need is exposure. The more people who know what I’m trying to do, the more of a possibility that more people will be touched by my cause.  You cant know if you don’t try, and I will not quit trying. That is the point of this whole thing after all, right?
                On that note, I am off to find more ways to promote this fundraiser. Google-fu! I will have more posts up soon to document other areas of progress lately. If I have one piece of advice, to you as well as myself, it’s simply this: Do not give up.  Know your goal, keep it in mind, and always work towards it.  This is your life.  You are not a co-star, watching some other guy live his life.  This is your story, your movie, your life. It will happen how you want it to, it just takes a matter of will. That is not a cliché. That is truth. And that is what I am truly out to prove.
                Until next time, much love, luck, and support. And wish me the same.  Please check out my page and track my progress.  Every little effort means the world.  www.youcaring.com/IT4me

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

- Copyright © Learn to program with me! - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -